Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Masking Microsoft SQL Server column with XML data

Posted 06-18-2020 03:21:00 PM
    We have a db with an NVARCHAR(MAX) column that contains data in XML format.   It looks like it sometimes has sensitive data.

Anybody have suggestions on best way to mask this?   I don't see an out-of-the-box algorithm that will work.  We are on Delphix Masking Engine 5.2 (yea...I know we need to upgrade!)

Thanks for any help!

------------------------------
    Sandy Ford
    Sr. SQL Database Administrator I
    United Fire Group

• 2.  RE: Masking Microsoft SQL Server column with XML data
    Best Answer

Posted 06-18-2020 06:22:00 PM
    Hi Sandy,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community. 

It is possible to mask nested objects (like an XML object in a database column). This was a built-in feature before and has been changed to a solution. To ensure optimal configuration please reach out to the Customer Success Manager or Technical Services. 

To assist, I have left a note to the Customer Success Manager about your request.

Kind regards, 

Anders

Anders Karlsson
    Delphix Support
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Masking Microsoft SQL Server column with XML data

Posted 06-23-2020 04:18:00 AM
    In 5.2 was a feature that allows to define the column as XML object by applying an XML format.
    So first you need to have an example XML file which you upload as file format.
    Then you assign in inventory for this column the configured file format > as a result the GUI changes and you can assign on the XML element level specific algorithms for masking.
    This feature (masking XML in database column) was depreciated in version 5.3.? 

Tino Pironti
    Technical Services
    Delphix