Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  What code changes to be done to connect to Delphix VDB

Posted 05-23-2019 05:08:00 AM

If QA folks are testing UI based application in UAT, in UAT application can connect to only one VDB snapshot of Delphix, this is simple case, how will we deal when same application in UAT has to be tested by different QA folks and they want to use their own VDB snapshot, how this case will work?

Are we going to have different instance of UAT application or VDB is only for integration tests where each one can run on its own feature branch?

I read so many blog of Delphix but somehow not getting this clarity that we configured Delphix on our DB, using portal we created VDB but how each developer/QA will use? do we have to modify the code to connect each instance?

#DemoEnvironment
    #Virtualization

• 2.  RE: What code changes to be done to connect to Delphix VDB
    Best Answer

Posted 05-23-2019 08:35:00 AM
    Hi Manikesh,

It depends on how you're granting access to you QA team/group.

If they share the same VDB the only way they can interact with there VDB is activating/deactivating branches so you will have only one connector in this case as it's the same database but that can allow access to different time-flows  (branches)

If each QA user have it's own VDB so you will have to create one connector per vdb maybe you will need the same amount of app servers, but here also in some cases, delphix can help also virtualize the app along with wi the database (ex. EBS apps, SAP APP ...)

Could you share what application are you using or connecting to your vdb in order to help get the most for the solution?

Regards,

Mouhssine

• 3.  RE: What code changes to be done to connect to Delphix VDB

Posted 05-23-2019 05:00:00 PM
    Thanks much.. what is connector you talking about? is it the VDB instance we create and then keep updating it with fresh DB snanpshot rolling it back to previous snapshot.?

Actually if there is wiki which can guide to developer on what code change and modification they need to do to talk to existing Delphix engine..

• 4.  RE: What code changes to be done to connect to Delphix VDB

Posted 05-23-2019 05:51:00 PM
    Also how Delphix help virtualization the apps? if I have a app like face book then will it virtualize that as well?

• 5.  RE: What code changes to be done to connect to Delphix VDB

Posted 05-27-2019 07:53:00 AM
    Hi Manikesh,

The connector defines from the application side how the application can reach out to the database.

For example some application uses a jdbc/odbc connector other relies on oracle net

You have to identify wich one your application is using to passe out the good informations.

Lets take a jdbc example with an oracle database :

On my source i have this string on the application configuration file

jdbc:oracle:thin:@myproduction:1521:MY_DATABASE"

Once the application is linked with delphix it embeds this, so you do have to tell delphix to change this parameter at provision time using hooks and change it to something like

jdbc:oracle:thin:@mytarget:1521:MY_VIRTUAL_DATABASE"

Regards,

Mouhssine