Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Cannot Delete dSource after deleting it from host

Posted 03-21-2018 09:18:00 AM
    hi,

we have a dSource Test that has a couple of VDB provisioned from it. We deleted the database from the host, which caused the dSource and its VDBs to show errors such as "Cannot Monitor" and "Provision Problem". Now we cannot delete the dSource because it has dependencies (the VDBs), but the VDBs cannot be deleted from the console. When I tried it gave: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available. I tried through CLI but same result.

Any solution on removing the dSource and its VDBs from the engine console? 

• 2.  RE: Cannot Delete dSource after deleting it from host

Posted 03-21-2018 11:47:00 PM
    Hi Abdullah,
    I would recommend opening a support case in this instance and upload a support bundle so that support can effectively help you.
    Regards,
    Gary

• 3.  RE: Cannot Delete dSource after deleting it from host

Posted 03-21-2018 11:53:00 PM
    Hi Abdullah, I have opened a support case for you.

• 4.  RE: Cannot Delete dSource after deleting it from host
    Best Answer

Posted 03-22-2018 12:45:00 AM
    Hi Abdullah-

In the Delphix interface, when deleting a VDB you should be presented with an option to "Force Delete". This bypasses the normal steps of disabling the database, unmounting filesystems, etc, and is used for this exact scenario.  Is this option not presented to you when attempting to delete?

The only thing that should prevent deletion from the Delphix UI is if the VDB is associated with a container in Jet Stream / Delphix Self Service, in which case the container must be deleted first.  In this instance, the delete option would be greyed out.  As you didn't express this specifically, we must ask if that is applicable here.

Also, from the CLI you can run:

DelphixEngine> /database; select <vdbname>
    DelphixEngine database 'vdbname'> delete
    DelphixEngine database 'vdbname' delete *> ls
    Properties
        type: OracleDeleteParameters
        credential: (unset)
        force: (unset)
        username: (unset)

DelphixEngine database 'vdbname' delete *> set force=true
    DelphixEngine database 'vdbname' delete *> commit

Hope this helps.

• 5.  RE: Cannot Delete dSource after deleting it from host

Posted 03-22-2018 04:03:00 AM
    Hi Abdullah, Generally the message can’t monitor means that Delphix can’t connect to your database using jdbc, if you stoped or deleted the listener as well per the source operation delete so it’s normal behavior. As Sean said you can use force option to bypass the issue, but my recommandation is disabling the object and delete it and use force option as really last resort Regards, Mouhssine

• 6.  RE: Cannot Delete dSource after deleting it from host

Posted 03-22-2018 05:26:00 AM
    Thank you all for your help. Most of the VDBs have been deleted successfully with force delete as suggested, but one of them show the following: