Delphix Products

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl

Srividya Srinivasan

Srividya Srinivasan02-28-2018 01:04:00 AMBest Answer

• 1.  issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl

Posted 02-27-2018 07:05:00 PM

hi - I downloaded the new dxtoolkit master zip file. from that path I am trying to run dx_provision_vdb.pl to create a vdb. But I am getting the following error

./dx_provision_vdb.pl[25]: use: not found [No such file or directory]
    ./dx_provision_vdb.pl[26]: use: not found [No such file or directory]
    ./dx_provision_vdb.pl[27]: use: not found [No such file or directory]
    ./dx_provision_vdb.pl: line 27: syntax error at line 28: '(' unexpected

• 2.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl
    Best Answer

Posted 02-27-2018 08:47:00 PM
    Is Perl installed and is the file executable by your user? I guess you tried the obvious ./ dx_provision_vdb.pl or sudo perl dx_provision_vdb.pl ? What does perl -v show?

• 3.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl
    Best Answer

Posted 02-27-2018 09:04:00 PM
    I would test first this syntax

perl dx_provision_vdb.pl -help

If you need a compiled version of dxtoolkit, please check a release tab in github.

regards,
    Marcin

• 4.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl

Posted 02-28-2018 01:02:00 AM

This is what I get

perl dx_provision_vdb.pl -help
    Can't locate JSON.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at dx_provision_vdb.pl line 27.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at dx_provision_vdb.pl line 27.

• 5.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl
    Best Answer

Posted 02-28-2018 01:04:00 AM
    Thanks for the response

• 6.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl

Posted 02-28-2018 01:05:00 AM

Thanks for the response Gary. Yes I tried the dx_provision_vdb.pl but it errored out.

perl -v show gives this

perl -v show

This is perl, v5.10.1 (*) built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2009, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
    GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
    this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
    Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

• 7.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl

Posted 02-28-2018 02:55:00 AM
    So Srividya,
    I have no idea what platform you are trying to run this on as you do not state in your note.  However my guess is that you're new to this (like me) and therefore you've made the mistake that others make, which is to download the source version of the dxtoolkit (I'm looking at you Rahim!).  This means that to run it you're going to need perl installed and you're going to have to ensure that your perl scripts are able to find the perl libraries and that you have the right included components like JSON.pm etc.  It looks like you can find the perl libraries but that they're missing the JSON stuff.  So you would need to install JSON and how you do that will depend on the platform you're using.  On a Mac you'd do something like type 'brew install cpan' without the quotes and then 'cpanm install JSON' without the quotes, but then you're likely to run into version errors with running Homebrew... assuming you're on a Mac.  But really you should use the compiled dxtoolkit as Marcin infers and as described below.

The easiest way to solve your pain is to download the compiled version of the dxtoolkit for your platform.  Do that here.  You'll want this one if you're on linux/mac: dxtoolkit2-2.3.5-rc1-redhat6.tar.gz and this one if you're on windows: dxtoolkit2-2.3.5-rc1-win64.zip

That will give you an executable set of commands that you can run from your laptop and you should be golden.  Then you can just run the executable called "dx_provision_vdb" rather than a perl script.

I hope that helps!  I will ask Marcin (again) to please put a note in his dxtoolkit readme for us dummies... ;-)

Regards,
    Gary

• 8.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl

Posted 02-28-2018 03:35:00 AM
    PS. To get the perl scripts working on my Mac I needed to install cpan:
    brew install cpan
    Then re-install ruby:
    ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"&nbsp;<br>Then install JSON.pm:  sudo cpanm install JSON
    Then install Date/Manip.pm: sudo cpanm install Date/Manip.pm
    Then install Crypt/CBC.pm: sudo cpanm install Crypt/CBC.pm

• 9.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl

Posted 02-28-2018 05:25:00 AM
    Hi Srividay, Obviously you didn’t follow the prerequisites as stated per dxtoolkit documentation on readme page section prerequisites. You have two options : Set the following prerequisites (upgrade Perl to at least 5.16 and install the required modules) Source version Perl version 5.16 or higher Required packages JSON Date::Manip DateTime::Event::Cron::Quartz DateTime::Format::DateParse Crypt::CBC Crypt::Blowfish Text::CSV Try::Tiny LWP::UserAgent Net::SSLeay IO::Socket::SSL LWP::Protocol::https Term::ReadKey Log::Syslog::Fast Or Use compiled version as Marcin states and this requires no change on your system. Regards, Mouhssine

• 10.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl
    Best Answer

Posted 02-28-2018 10:25:00 AM
    Yes Gary I did download the source version instead of the compiled version. let me download the compiled version like you suggested. Thanks a lot. The platform I am using is Linux server

• 11.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl

Posted 02-28-2018 10:26:00 AM
    Thank you Mouhssine. I am going to try to get the compiled version

• 12.  RE: issue with dx_provision_vdb.pl

Posted 02-28-2018 11:05:00 AM
    Good man Srividya - let us know how you get on!  Marcin has done some fantastic work putting that toolkit together... you should be in DevOps heaven once you get the hang of it... or is that DataOps?! :-)