We frequently have to onboard new users, adding them into Delphix as Self-Service users. I'm trying to write a script using the dxtoolkit that will create the user, build the required VDBs (with hooks), and create a container for those VDBs. The first two steps I've already figured out, but I cannot seem to get the syntax right for the last part. After looking at the dxtoolkit, I've been trying to use the dx_ctl_js_container
command. The documentation of this command only gives one example of creating a new container and that's based on a template with 2 sources.Notes
- Delphix 220.127.116.11
- dxtoolkit: 2.4.5
- Running on a Windows 2012 server, using the compiled scripts from the Releases page.
- I'm writing in my script in PowerShell; but when I had problems running dx_ctl_js_container, I switched to calling dx_ctl_js_container.exe directly.
- Our local, best practices for Delphix include:
- The Data Template should be named the same as the Dataset Group, and should only contain the Containers for the VDBs in the Dataset Group.
- Containers should be named the same as their VDB.
- Dataset Groups/Data Templates are named to show which server they're for (i.e. SERVER01Targets).
- Containers/VDBs are named for the users they belong to (i.e. VDBmmckibben).
Below is an example of the command with all the options that I'm trying to run, I'm hoping somebody can point out how I've messed up the syntax as I keep getting this error message "Not all VDBs mapped to sources. Exiting"
dx_ctl_js_container.exe -d DelphixEngine -action create -container_def "SERVER01Targets,VDBmmckibben" -container_name VDBmmckibben -template_name SERVER01Targets -container_owner mmckibben -dontrefresh
In this example:
- DelphixEngine is the Delphix Engine as defined in dxtools.conf.
- SERVER01 is a Microsoft SQL Server.
- SERVER01Targets (container_def) is an existing Dataset Group.
- SERVER01Targets (template_name) is an existing Data Template.
- VDBmmckibben (container_def) is an existing VDB.
- VDBmmckibben (container_name) is the name we would want to use for this container.
- mmckibben (container_owner) is an admin user.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Senior Database Administrator
United Fire Group